Gluten-Free Apple-Walnut Stuffing
Prep Time: 45 minutes prep time + overnight sit time for bread
Number of Servings: 10
Recipe Source: Taste for Life test kitchen
- 1 loaf of dairy-free, gluten-free bread, chopped into 1-inch cubes (about 9 c)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for oiling casserole dish
- 1⁄4 c minced shallots
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cut into 1⁄2-inch dice
- 1 c walnuts, chopped
- 2 c apple cider
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1⁄2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set gluten-free bread cubes out overnight on a baking sheet, so they can dry out a bit.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Oil the bottom and sides of a large glass casserole dish with oil.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add celery and sauté for 4 minutes. Add apples, walnuts, and apple cider and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to oiled casserole dish. Add bread cubes, sage, thyme, lightly beaten eggs, and salt and pepper to taste. Gently combine until all the bread is moistened.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until stuffing is browned and crispy on top.
Notes: The eggs in this recipe help bind the ingredients together, while adding richness, moistness, and flavor to the stuffing.
Nutrition Info: Per serving: 253 Calories, 6 g Protein, 37 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fiber, 10 g Total fat (1 g sat), 399 mg Sodium, ★ Vitamin K, ★ Phosphorus, ★ Potassium